Friday, October 4, 2019 - 17:00 to Sunday, October 6, 2019 - 16:00The Big Shed, Tombreck Farm, Lawers, PH15 2PBPrice: £0 - £97
About Farm Hack
Farm Hack Scotland is for agroecological farmers across Scotland to come together and share knowledge, skills around the tools that we use on our farms. There will be a mix of skills sharing, practical workshops to learn skills, design challenges and a lot of opportunity to socialise! This event is being organised in collaboration with the Landworker's Alliance, Common Good Food with the support from Tombreck Farm (a Permaculture LAND centre), Soil Association Scotland, the Gaia Foundation and many more farmers and makers.
Here's a video from last time to give a flavour of what we'll be up to this time. A few changes and additions along the way.
Your invited to arrive and set up camp from 5pm. An evening meal will be available for people when you arrive. Possible film screening at 8pm.
8:00 - 9:00: Breakfast
9:30 - 11:30: Introductions and What is Farm Hack? We invite you to bring your favourite tool (or picture if too big to transport) for a sharing of tools. We'll also share all together what some of the challenges are that we face and spark off some ideas for design solutions over the course of the weekend.
11:30 - 12:30: Farm Tour with Sue and Tober from Tombrek farm
12:30 - 1:30: Lunch
1:30 - 3:00: Workshop session 1, with a choice of the following workshops:
- Lynn Cassells from Lynbrek Croft on tools and methods for Regenerative Grazing
- Dave Barfoot, mechanic and farmer with training in automotive mechanics and considerable experience fixing farm machinery. On basic mechanics for a farm, looking at both large (tractor size) and small (chainsaw/rotivator size) engines
- Gaia Foundation Seed Sovereignty team on seed processing and cleaning
- Greenwoodworking skills and making handles for tools (TBC)
- Drop in sessions on welding with Duncan from Blackhaugh Farm and forging with Jimmy the blacksmith
3:00 - 3:30: Break
3:30 - 5:00: Workshop session 2, repeat of workshops above
Evening: meal, live music from Samson Sounds and dancing!
8:00 - 9:30: Breakfast
9:30 - 12:30: In depth design sessions
- Butchery workshop (please book this in advance on the ticket page as numbers are limited to 5 people and we need to confirm whether to order the pig for this by 20th September). You'll be able to take sausages home with you!
- Broadfork making - contribute to the welding, forging and handle making of a broadfork, which will be auctioned off at the end of the day.
- Open space for other design and build challenges. We welcome everyone to come with an idea / design that they would like to work on with others to develop. There will be people on hand to help with projects. If you'd like to discuss any of your ideas in advance please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
12:30 - 13:30: Lunch
13:30 - 15:00: Continue with design work
15:00 - 16:00: Final get together, feedback and ideas for future work and auction of broadfork!
Accomodation & meals
Tombreck is a working farm and the accomodation will be camping/campervans, so please bring your own tent, sleeping bag, warm clothes, sturdy footwear and a torch. There is an attic room above the big shed where people can stay if camping is not possible, though space is limited and a communal space. There are hot showers, toilets, and tea making facilities.
We'll provide delicious and hearty meals thanks to the wonderful cooking skills of Josie Vallely. Meals will include breakfast and lunch on the Saturday and Sunday, and dinner on Friday and Saturday. We'll be sourcing all produce from local farmers, and if you would like to supply us with your produce please get in touch to let us know. All meals will have vegan/vegetarian options.
The excellent Samson Sounds will be entertaining us with some dancing to keep us warm on the Saturday night. We may also have a fire outside, weather permitting, and welcome anyone to bring instruments for around the fire. There are several residents living on the farm, so we ask that everyone respects that this is their home, and keeps noise to a low level after 11pm.
If you have any questions about the event please don't hesitate to get in touch.